Monday, March 2, 2009

One Big Family

I work with a lot of former military people. I have never been in the military. I tried to join the army when I was younger but they refused me because I was born deaf in one ear. It was a dream I had since I was about six but such is life.

Some people I work with also have children in the military. My one buddy, Dave, likes to talk a lot. He was talking to another coworker, Bob, about their children. Bob mentioned that his son is deployed in Iraq. Well, after talking for a while Dave asked what his son misses most aside from the usual things like family, the food, etc. Bob came up with a list of thing, mostly toiletries, puzzles, cards, hackey-sack and things like that.

Dave decided to get a collection going for those of us that work overnight so that we can send these things to the family members of those deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. It wasn't saying that we are either for or against either war, it was saying that we care about them.

Well, to cut the story short, we have collected over 800 pounds of things to send. The whole idea caught on like wildfire and now we are looking outside our facility for more family members. Even a local school is writing letters and collecting things. It's amazing.

I know you don't read this but way to go Dave! Great idea. And way to go my coworkers. Even if we aren't all buddies, we are one big family!

No comments: